top of page


The following is the process and policy for all trainees above Foundation.  If you are Foundation Year 1, you are not entitled to study leave in addition to the teaching sessions and training days already scheduled.  For FY2, please find information on our dedicated foundation section.

You can only apply for study leave if your mandatory training on the ESR portal is up to date at the time of applying. This applies to both time and any associated expenses.


All study leave needs to be applied for prospectively (with a minimum of 6 weeks notice) Expenses must then be claimed for within 3 months of the event date.  The SL application form is linked below and expenses claim forms will be sent out via email if your SL is approved.

You must also make a request for the date/s of study leave with the service line rota coordinator via Allocate- MEDIC ON LINE (this is  to check availability with the rota and register time off).


You will need to complete the UHP study leave application form, with the appropriate signatures includes and submit to: 


Once your study leave is approved by PGMC you will receive an email from us detailing how to claim expenses. Please note that all expense claim forms must have original signatures and we cannot accept scanned copies.

We will be unable to process expenses if we do not have a study leave application dated prior to the course dates.



- Exam Fees

- Interview expenses

- General Instructor Courses (GIC)

- Revision Courses (please see HEE policy     guidance for exceptions)

- Audit Meetings

- Clinical Governance meetings

- Postgraduate diplomas/certificates (but funding may be available from other sources)

- Out of Programme trainees

- Leadership Courses or programmes, these will need to be booked through HEE

For doctors who do not have a National Training Number (clinical Fellow, Trust Doctor etc) funding is capped at £577 per contract year.  For further information please see here.


You will need to submit a separate Study Leave application for an overseas course at least 8 weeks prior to the event to with a subject heading “Overseas REQUEST for Study Leave”

The Deanery will respond within 48 hours and you will be issued with a reference number. 


You will then be expected to also apply for study leave as normal and outlined above, using your reference approval number. 

When Study Leave is approved you will receive an approval email which includes an expenses claim form and details on how you can claim your related expenses.

All receipts need to be attached to your expenses claim form.

       _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

What can be claimed for:  Please note the below is guidance around the main claimable expenses - for more detailed information please see: the expenses section on HEE website

Travel and Subsistence

Overseas flights are ineligible; however travel to port of exit is accepted. 

Internal flights are eligible, providing cost does not exceed total return mileage.  All public transport must have receipts attached.  If you are driving, mileage to and from the event is £0.30/mile, and extra passengers (£0.05). This should be completed in full on the expense form.

  • Accommodation within London £150 per night. Overnight accommodation outside of London should not exceed £120.                   

  • Subsistence £15                               

  • Lunch £5

  • Exam fees are not funded. Travel to the exam, accommodation and subsistence can usually be claimed from the study leave budget in accordance with the HEE study leave guidance. 

Please note HEE Policy when claiming


Once the expenses claim form is fully completed with signature and receipts, the form must be sent to the PGMC for final authorisation. Expenses are then reimbursed through payroll and these should be received by them no later than 3 months of the event date.


A new expense claim form must be completed for each different event/date.

Please note that in order to claim expenses, we will need to deduct from your study leave time allowance. Please discuss this with your rota team if the course falls on an off day. 

Payroll deadlines vary each month, but are generally towards the beginning of the month. We will do our best to submit in time for month end, however, if this is missed, you will receive payment in the following month. 


As well as claiming in the normal way from the Trust, as above, the trainee is responsible for submitting copies of their receipts to the HEE 

with a subject heading Overseas Claim.  Trainees should include the application reference number on all communications.

  • All receipts should have a registered VAT number although a copy of the booking form for flights including costs will be accepted.  A receipt from the hotel will be accepted with an itemised account on expenditure; personal credit card receipts of payment will not be accepted

  • Any costs incurred by the trainee without having approval will be borne by the trainee if the request is declined

  • Trainees can only claim for one overseas course/conference within 1 programme OR if on a run through programme they are able to take an opportunity to attend an overseas event every 3 years.




UHP are governed by HEE policy and they will query all late claims as well as the type of course/event/conference the trainee is attending.  

For more detailed information, please visit their site.

Current Important Guidance Highlights

There are still three categories, however there is also an approved course/conference/event list which can be accessed via the HEE page (link above)

  • (1) Specific to the requirements of the Curriculum - FUNDED AT 100%

  • (2) Enhanced knowledge FUNDED AT 75%

Please Note: These courses should only be approved for funding if the trainee has achieved their core curriculum competencies for their stage of training. 

  • (3) Career Progression - FUNDED AT 50%

If you are applying for study leave courses which cost more than £600 - regardless of category, you will require TPD or HoS sign off. For study leave over £1000, you will require HEE approval, regardless of category 

Study leave days count as working days and so should normally be taken on working days. If it is necessary to take them on non-working days (e.g. weekend of rostered day off), then the lieu days should be agreed with the Educational Supervisor at the time of agreeing the study leave. Both ES and the trainee should ensure this does not make the trainee breach their contract requirements on hours worked or EWTD.

If a trainee is unable to attend an event or part of an event because they have been required to work by their employer, HEE will not reimburse the costs. If study leave time was granted by their employer, the trainee should ask their employer to reimburse the costs.


Life support courses will be supported that are mandated within the specialty curricula and if the criteria cannot be met through the training programme, however, these should not be from a specific named provider unless this is the only option available.

Courses will be supported for trainees for the development of specific competencies, which can only be gained in this way, despite not being specifically mentioned within the curriculum. Please refer to the course list for your specialty for confirmation.

Advanced Life Support (ALS) courses will be supported where appropriate for specialty training. Trainees are asked, wherever possible to do these courses at the organisations in which they are placed, in order to take advantage of the lower ‘internal candidate’ fees.

Refresher courses for ALS / APLS / ATLS etc. are not covered by study leave funding and should be the responsibility of the Trust to support.


A single PACES course will be approved for trainees if:

1. this is part of their PDP as appropriate for their stage of training

2. they cannot get the necessary experience within their usual work and training programme

3. they have a place in the upcoming exam or a good chance of being prioritised for a place, based on the MRCPUK criteria

UK PACES Prioritisation Criteria – 2021/3 | MRCPUK

4. they have ES support

5. TPDs will be asked to approve sign off until further notice and if further review is required approval should be submitted to the Head of School

This will still need HEE direct approval due to cost


These are generally not funded - current advice is still to obtain approval from HEE, regardless of category on the course list. 

ONE online revision course up to the cost of £400 will be covered for trainees approaching CCT.





bottom of page