top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

This page covers our most frequently asked questions from Trust Grade Drs and international medical graduates. If you cannot find what you are looking for here, or on the other tabs on this website, please get in touch with PGME Coordinator, Caitlin Taylor

How do I apply to attend courses and conferences? 

To attend any learning events you will need to apply for study leave through the study leave process. This includes submitting an application form to the Junior Drs Study Leave inbox at least 6 weeks in advance complete with digital signatures from your rota coordinator and educational supervisor. Please see the ‘Study Leave’ tab on for a copy of the digital form* as well as some further information regarding the process. 

Trust Grade Drs have access to a capped budget of £577 pro rate per contract year. This can only be accessed if the study leave process has been followed. They do not have to adhere to the Health Education England courses list as non-trainees nor the funding categories associated with this. 

*It is important to complete the application form on Adobe software (not on the browser) and all signatures need to be added digitally. Digital signatures are not the same as electronic signatures (which are not as secure). Please find guides on how to digitally complete a study leave application and set-up a digital signature on Adobe on the Study Leave tab.

How do I attend a Life Support course at the Trust? 

The Life Support Training team provides courses such as ILS, ALS and ATLS, for the Trust. You will need to contact the team directly to enquire about these courses and be added to the waiting list for any you are interested in attended. You will need to follow the study leave process in order to attend any courses and claim back any expenses/fees. 

If you cannot secure a place at Derriford in the timeframe you need, then you can book yourself onto courses at other venues around the country and use your study leave allocation for this. Please do be mindful of costs at some private training venues and if you are a Trust Grade Dr, you are only entitled to £577 pro rata per contract year in study leave expenses. For reference, the Derriford ALS course cost is £250 but some venues can charge up to £700.

What do I do if I am unwell? 

If you are unwell and unable to attend work you should firstly contact your department and let them know you will not be attending. It is important to give them as much notice as possible so they can arrange cover for you. 


You should then contact the Central Absence Reporting Line, 01752 430000, and report your absence. They will ask you for some basic details about your absence and ensure that it is recorded accurately.


You should keep your department and the Central Absence Reporting Line updated across the course of your absence. 


Once you are back at work, your service line manager will arrange for you to have a return to work meeting where you will discuss any support you might need following your absence. Please familiarise yourself with the sickness policy, which is available via StaffNet or the G: Drive. 

Please always ask your department if they have additional requirements for reporting sickness absence. 

bottom of page